Florence Diaries: Friends with the Locals
Things to do while in Santorini:
- Make friends with the local dog and cat population
- Chill on the terrace in the sun and curl up with a good book
- Wander around Oia aimlessly
- Befriend the local wannabe punk-rocker guys
- Don't get run over by the donkeys
- Get blown away by the wind on one street, then turn a corner and it's gone
- Take lots of photos, of course!
- Don't be alarmed when the power goes out at dinner... Candlelight is romantic, right?
- Hike down to Amoudi Bay and around the corner to a lovely swimming cove... Then hike back up the 200+ steps, ugh...
- Turn a corner and suddenly you're on private property and being yelled at in Greek (walk quickly the other way)
- Go taste some local wine -- Santorini is one of only two places that cultivate their grape vines in a basket formation
- Try not to fall on the cobblestone steps, trust me...
- Crowd into the remains of the Venetian castle (along with throngs of other tourists) at sunset for some great views
- Take it easy and enjoy...
(I wore a white lace blouse and army green high waisted shorts from Zara, brown Italian leather sandals made in Florence, a gold hamsa necklace from the Union Square Holiday Market, two globe necklaces bought at a local vendor in Mykonos, and carried my handy-dandy black and brown Longchamp backpack.)
Thanks Sarah for the photos!
Click to enlarge photos