One of my summertime cravings is lemon, however I'm trying to watch my weight, so when I found this low calorie recipe for lemon bars I had to try! It's less than 250 calories per square! Yum, check it out! They're gooey deliciousness!
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons light butter
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8X8 square baking pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and salt. Then cut in the butter with a fork until a coarse meal forms. Sprinkle with ice water and mix until a dough forms. Gather the dough into a ball, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- When the dough has chilled, press into an even layer in the baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes until the crust is firm to the touch.
- To make the filling, in a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, egg, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Then using a handheld mixer, beat on medium speed until combined, then add sugar and flour and continue to beat until smooth and thick.
- Pour the lemon filling evenly over the hot crust and smooth with a rubber spatula, if necessary.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until firm and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Let cool for an hour, then dust with powdered sugar, cut into squares, and enjoy!